Re: [OM] IMG: An Unusual Airplane

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: An Unusual Airplane
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 07:19:36 -0600
Chris, the plus/minus ratings might surprise you. If this is derived from
an agriplane, the specs are probably pretty stout.

oh, one reason for the long nose is that the storage tank for the sprayer
is located forward of the pilot. The airplane is designed to minimize CG
shift and to maximize human survivability when they crash. Even the piston
powered agriplanes are now designed this way and many have water cooled
engines which gives a similar profile.

AG

On Sunday, November 20, 2011, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks, Jim, it does look big.  I might enjoy flying something like that,
although it's probably not aerobatic.

> Chris
>
> On 19 Nov 2011, at 21:08, Jim Nichols wrote:
>
>> While evaluating my first Leica lens, an Elmar 50/3.5 from 1946, I came
across this Air Tractor company-owned Sky Truck airplane which appeared to
be fitted out with flight test gear in the rear cockpit.  Developed from a
large agricultural aircraft, the AT-802U has been used for firefighting and
for close air support in developing countries.  It is a BIG airplane.

>> I thought of this one when Chris Barker commented about airplanes with
long noses.  This is about as long as they get!

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Air+Tractor+Sky+Truck+4a+NI.jpg.html

>> Leica IIIf RD with coated 50/3.5 Elmar from 1946
>
> --

Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.zone-10.com