Re: [OM] Comparing 50 mm lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Comparing 50 mm lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 20:31:53 -0800
OK, I've read all the comments and looked carefully at the images again.

As I said, I processed them all to have the histogram just kiss the top, ETTR.
In that sense, the differences in
midrange brightness reflects real differences in the lenses. but I can see how
those differences make comparing other
aspects difficult.

So I adjusted the darker Oly and lighter Zeiss to match the Tamron in average
brightness.
<cid:part1.06030600.06090502@gmail.com>

The differences in the histograms with only changing the lenses, are greater
than I would have expected. Color
differences I expected. Such large differences in the position of the main
portion of the histogram relative to top and
bottom is a surprise.

I've revised the original roll-over to use the average brightness matched
versions.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/50mm_lenses/50mmcomp.htm>

I looked more closely at focus, and it's apparent that I mis-focused the Tessar
slightly further back than the other
two. So I've done a half decent PP job of moving the focal plane forward to
match the others. Again, this is to allow
comparison of others aspects without an extraneous factor interfering.

BTW, after some study at 100%, I still don't think these shots can say which is
sharpest overall. The Tessar is quite
sharp on the dark red flowers on the left, where the other two are softer, and
softer than the others in the forward
dahlia petals.

Now we come down to color. The Tessar seems to me to be doing something magical
in the subtle colors of the petals of
the central flower. But the overall color of the Zuiko is so different that
it's hard to compare them. I did a color
matching of Zuiko to Tessar, first the whole image, then overlaid a masked
color match of the central bloom.

With the colors much closer, it's easy to see that the Tessar is doing
something special in the subtle colors of the
petals. The Zuiko seems flatter, with the Tamron in between. Which is more
accurate is impossible to say, although I
tend to agree with Marnie that it may be the Tamron.

Accurate or not, I think the Tessar's rendering of those colors is most
attractive to my eye. If I were shooting a bunch
of flowers as a project, I'd use the Tessar, for a little bit of extra magic.

Moose