Re: [OM] Cleaning Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning Lenses
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:11:25 -0700

> Pure, lab grade ethanol or Lighter Fluid (Ronsonol). I prefer the alcohol
> - if you can't get ethanol, then isopropyl alcohol is easier to find.
> Both vaporise totally though, if they find their way inside, they'll
> delubricate the lens!
> I use a lightly wetted cotton bud (Q-tip). You can get the type made for
> make-up application - they have a paddle shape on one end and a pointed
> tip on the other.
> I wouldn't soak a toothbrush and scrub - too much fluid flying around.

    Thank you, tis worked just fine, except that I had to use the point of a
toothpick to get out some of the dirt as the engravings were quite deep.
This loosened some blue paint that I will need to touch up later.  At least
for now I can read the lettering clearly.

    I think that I would use a soft brush instead for the deeply engraved
stuff, such as an acid brush where the bristles are trimmed to give the
needed stiffness.  Using these with a small circular motion prevents having
fluid flying around.

Chris