Re: [OM] Cleaning Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning Lenses
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 09:22:47 +1100
Brand names and local names make it difficult. For instance, I don't know what
you mean by an 'acid brush'. I'm sure that there's a local version of Pliobond
but I've just resorted to importing it from the US, probably illegally. Good
stuff for leather and leatherette, a bit iffy with vinyl which goes very soft
until it's dry.
I've found that I need a range of cleaning solvents -
Lighter fluid for shutter blades and some general cleaning.
Alcohol - ethanol.
Acetone (usually non-oily nail polish remover).
Where one won't work, another will and they are all fast vaporising, although
they do seem to leave some slight residue.
Clear Windex for glass. (that seems to be a consistent brand name).
I find that a citrus and alcohol product called Citra here is excellent for
removing old glues although it leaves an oily residue which has to be removed
with a solvent.
I'm about to experiment with Matt Denton's idea of replacing light seals with
black velvet ribbon (hinge) and crochet wool (channels) instead of foam.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx