Re: [OM] Camera Handling and Lens Changes

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera Handling and Lens Changes
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 23:44:49 +0100
Hi Andrew and all,

From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>One thing I noticed - the 45mm exhibits the same behaviour as the Leica
25mm - the aperture makes two actions
>instead of one on the E-P2. And I do have the latest firmware in there -
1.2. On the E-PL3 it is wide open and
>then stops down as you'd expect. But on the E-P2 it seems to 'rest' at
around f4, open up when you touch the
>trigger and then stop down when you shoot. Rather odd.

Have you noticed what the X100 does when metering (upon half press)? It's
even weirder... it keeps varying depending on light and, upon half press,
it goes wide-open, then (if a high contrast scene is in front) if stops
down badly, and eventually goes to the selected aperture! _If_ this camera
has focused _and_ metered, shutter lag is absolutely *ZERO* -- nothing to
do with the tens of miliseconds of (even MF) SLRs! But metering on a
bright, contrasty light takes "forever" :-(

But mind you, the GF1 isn't much better... it does a lot of weird things
too, and a sudden light level change may induce delays! For instance, if
you are in Manual Focus mode, quickly point to a bright light (from a dark
place) and immediately press the shutter, it *won't* shoot until half a
second or so, while on "constant" light is almost instantaneous. With an
adapted manual lens, there's no shutter lag... but the picture will be
heavily overexposed -- we're back to the sluggish response of CdS meters
:-( If things are more calm, the GF1 works a bit better than the X100 about
this because it keeps metering for a while after lifting the finger from
the button.

There is a fact: these cameras (the X100 and any EVIL, I'm afraid) have no
physical, separate *light metering* device -- they just compute exposure
according to the live-view sensor data! The pixels of it being much smaller
than the photodiode on a proper meter (internal or external) their dynamic
range is much lower than the expected measuring range, so it has to try
with several apertures for an accurate measure, I guess... couldn't it be
made thru electronic shutter?

Stil waiting for that PRO mirrorless camera... There are some rumors about
the X100-based EVIL camera from Fuji... no hybrid viewfinder -- deal
breaker for me :-(

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)