Re: [OM] Leica screwmount ID help

Subject: Re: [OM] Leica screwmount ID help
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 21:20:06 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 11/24/2011 2:33:48 P.M. Central Standard Time,
chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Well, I  was nearly bowled over when I looked in the box.  One Leica IIIf
(I  believe) with 5cm f/1.5, 9cm f/4 and 13.5cm f/4.  Also an adjustable
viewfinder covering 3.5 to 13.5 cm, a square lens hood, a GE lightmeter
(selenium I suppose, no battery), an Afga electronic flash (whose
batteries expired in 1993 but had not leaked) plus leather cases for
camera and meter and plastic cases for the lenses.  Also a 1952 book  on
Leica IIIf and M bodies... and one partly exposed roll of film in the
camera.

Chuck, I sold a kit very similar to the one you describe for a lady in need
 of moving it last year.  It had an interesting Texas provenance which I
felt could help to bring a higher price if sold at a local auction as an
intact  kit.  In respect for her father she said she didn't want to sell it
that
 way.

The main difference in your kit over hers was she had a wide angle rather
than the 9cm f/4.  As memory serves me, I grossed a little under $1,000 on
the kit, took a very conservative seller's fee of 10% and she netted about
$800  after ebay/paypal fees.  This arrangement is not one I would suggest to
 others, however it does reflect what I felt needed to be done in this
particular  case.

Were I in your position and wanted to use the camera, I would probably
write a nice "thank you" to the couple and offer them some token of
appreciation  (like a matted and framed print), however would not try to have
it
approximate  the value of the camera.  It was a gift to you to honor not only
their  father, but also you.  Perhaps the best way you can honor the father is
to  use and enjoy the camera as he once did.

Bill Barber