[OM] Critters, for real.

Subject: [OM] Critters, for real.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 01:18:10 -0800
The photographic fruits of our month's visit to New England are starting to get
processed.

Herewith a selection of 'real' critters we encountered and I captured. Not all
still alive, though, I must warn you.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2011/Critters/Real>

The pièce de résistance of this collection is the weasel. A first for Carol in
the wild only my second and the first
I've caught with camera. Man that thing moved fast, popping out of holes in the
old stone wall where we first saw it.
Now for the first time, I understand "pop goes the weasel", 'cause that just
what its head did in holes in the wall. It
was actually so close that I had no chance to catch it there, as it was so
quick and there were so many possible places
for the next 'pop'.

I didn't even get the zoom all the way out as it hopped away after deciding we
weren't going to move on, but caught a
momentary pause as it headed away. From the field guide, I think it may be a
short tailed weasel, although, as so often
is the case, pictures and description don't seem definitive.

What's confusing me now is that the critter I saw at Point Reyes some years ago
had what looked like a black mask around
its eyes, but nothing like that should be there. I suppose it was either a long
tailed weasel, and my memory is faulty,
of someone has transplanted some black footed ferrets. It was carrying a dead
gopher, so that would fit. Oh well, we saw
a muskrat there too, another time, well out of its supposed range.

The first two images have a small story. I walked up to the stone balustrade at
a scenic overlook in Acadia NP. This
gull was standing there, apparently enjoying the view. I expected it to fly off
when I approached.  It looked over at
me, then turned back to the view.

The first of the two flutterbys I believe I posted before when this species was
being discussed. There were also a few
monarchs hanging on. I wonder if the got out before the snow storm two weeks
later.

The monarch shows what kind of sharpness and overall clarity is possible
handheld with an active insect if one is
patient and uses careful technique.

Carol is always on the lookout for turtles and frogs when we are near the right
kind of water.  The second frog just
looked like a rock to me in the viewfinder, but using my excellent binoculars,
Carol insisted it was a frog. She was
right. The folks at the Audubon center said turtles were unlikely at that time
of year and in that weather. But sure
enough, Carol found one. Credit perseverance and those binocs again.

The thing I like about a dead bird is the chance to see feather detail one
never sees on a living one.

Enjoy!

Wildlife Moose