Re: [OM] OT Interesting slide show

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Interesting slide show
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 20:41:20 +0000
Sorry, Piers.  Computers in the flight control system made all that stuff
obsolete.

And you can't call the wing sweep mechanism (part of the high-lift and
wing-sweep system -- HLWSCU) in the Tornado elegant :-)  Part of the HLWSS was
a Kruger flap in each wing root.  It gave the aircraft about 1.5kts of extra
stall buffer on the approach, a dreadful waste of design time, weight and cost.
 They welded them shut pretty soon after I started flying the aircraft.  The
same with the ramps in the intakes, designed to allow the engines to work at
above M1.2 (or perhaps M1.4); since the GR1 would not be travelling anywhere
near that Mach No, given that stores and tanks prohibited it, there was little
point in the ramps -- more waste of weight etc . . .

And finally, the TSR2 was pretty cool for its time, but I should have hated to
fly the blimmin' thing; it would have been no fun at all, and fun is very
important in that job.

Chris