[OM] What have I done?? (F)

Subject: [OM] What have I done?? (F)
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:42:38 -0500 (EST)
I believe it has to
do with the overall contrast of the screens which are greater with the
Nikon. The 1-series screens in the Olympus didn't have the "snap" but
were
big and bright. Also, the apparant focus distance of the screen is
different in the Olympus (my preference). The 2-series screens improved
brightness and even contrast, but the problem there is that they are of
microprism design which mimicks a matte screen but is anything but.

As I understand it from Rachel at Katzeye the diffusion profile of the
matte surface can provide for
better "focus contrast." Any treatment that improves brightness will
impair this feature to some degree.
It appears to be a zero sum game. The 1-series screens should be
superior to focus for very fast lenses.
I "think" the 2-13 is OK to accurately focus at f1.4 on the 50mm but
never did any extensive testing comparing it to the 1-series screen---
never could find any data in the archives. Bokeh judgment ability seems
better on the 1-series per AG.

Mike