Re: [OM] Latest attempt at shameless plugs and sample photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Latest attempt at shameless plugs and sample photos
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 21:04:28 -0800
On 12/1/2011 6:29 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> In today's installment of the Zone-10 Shameless Plug Alert, we have a photo
> taken from a portrait session. So what? Everybody takes portraits. Yes, I
> know. But I thought this one might be of interest for several reasons.
>
> http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=656&Itemid=1
>
> The camera used was my E-1 which I've been grousing about getting rid of
> for like forever. One of these days, I'll finally come to my senses and
> toss the thing, but in the meantime I'll try to put up with it. As noted in
> the text, this shot is straight-out-of-camera with only cropping and
> resizing applied. (sharpening applied after resizing to bring it back to
> what the original is like). Of course, I will let Millerslab color correct
> it for me for the final prints.

> The shadowing on the image isn't perfect, but the client is thrilled. If
> she's happy, I'm happy. :)

OK, I know the fashion in portraits, today even more than in the past, is
plastic skin with no pores or texture. And the
client is happy. And maybe Millers fixes it. And whatever other perfectly good
reasons there undoubtedly are.

BUT - that portrait is overexposed as presented. I may, as often is so, have
gone too far, but at least this one looks
like a live human child. The pink cheeks could be toned down further, if
desired. I don't know how much of that is
natural and how much flash artifact.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/AG/PB180059-zx.htm>

Parents, child and grandchildren could go back to this version and believe
that's what she actually looked like, not the
ghost of her dead twin sister. OK, prose over the top a bit, but I marvel at
how the professional family portraits of my
brothers and I from our youth look so unlike real people.

Real Skin Moose