Re: [OM] (OM) Portrait just for fun

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Portrait just for fun
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 05:36:25 +1300
Re: (OM) Portrait just for fun
> I later opened the images in FastStone, and clicking on one particular
> image and moving the mouse pointer around brought up a worrying shot. I
> hit <print screen> on my PC keyboard, then opened up Irfanview and did
> <Edit> <paste> and then cropped and pasted the resultant electrons, and
> saved as a jay-peg.
>
> Check out the lower left image to see the dire result.
>
> http://www.brianswale.com/zuikoholics/October-2011/Oct-2011.htm

Chuck asked

> I don't understand is why you chose only screen resolution and then
> involved Irfanview for what FastStone is capable of on its own.
>
> FastStone is perfectly capable of cropping the image in its native size
> which could be preserved for a print if desired.  After cropping you could
> resize the image in FastStone for a suitable size for the screen.
>   Or, if you really only desired a screen size image you could have
> resized and then cropped in FastStone.
>
> Furthermore, if you did want to involve Irfanview for some more
> sophisticated work than FastStone is capable of you can specify its use as
> one of possibly several external editors (via Settings->Programs). Then
> right clicking the image will bring up a menu of the available editors.
> Selecting one will pass the image to it.

True, but I often use Irfanview as a way to record screen shots - it's a one-
button control. In this case I didn't need to do much cropping either as it was
wall-to-wall image.

I liked it enough to have 2 copies printed at 5x7 for the grandparents, and
they were delighted.

I was rather surprised at the detail captured by the E-3 and DZ14~54, and
particularly liked the way the skin tones were rendered.

I didn't mess with them at all.

And I liked the close crop that the screen scrape delivered. I think it is neat.

Maybe I'm lazy, but it's a tool sequence I like and use a lot. It works fast.

Brian Swale.