Re: [OM] (OM) Noise with E-3

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Noise with E-3
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 07:56:06 -0500
If you created the print file with the same screen scraping technique
you used for the portrait of the baby then I am not at all surprised.
That technique creates a low resolution image with maximum vertical
resolution equal to the vertical resolution of your display screen
(assuming you displayed the image full screen, even less otherwise)

A good quality print should have 250-300 pixels per inch.  If the image
was full height on a screen with 1080 vertical resolution that's only
enough to make a print about 4" high.  Blowing it up to 8" would have
some deleterious effects.  Otherwise I don't know why your E3 should be
producing obvious noise at ISO 250 and modest magnification such as an
8x10.  Of course, we don't know how much you cropped vertically.

Chuck Norcutt