Re: [OM] (OM) Noise with E-3

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Noise with E-3
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 02:56:15 +1300
Chuck wrote
> If you created the print file with the same screen scraping technique you
> used for the portrait of the baby then I am not at all surprised. That
> technique creates a low resolution image with maximum vertical resolution
> equal to the vertical resolution of your display screen (assuming you
> displayed the image full screen, even less otherwise)
>
> A good quality print should have 250-300 pixels per inch.  If the image
> was full height on a screen with 1080 vertical resolution that's only
> enough to make a print about 4" high.  Blowing it up to 8" would have some
> deleterious effects.  Otherwise I don't know why your E3 should be
> producing obvious noise at ISO 250 and modest magnification such as an
> 8x10.  Of course, we don't know how much you cropped vertically.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> On 12/13/2011 2:34 AM, Brian Swale wrote:
> > Today I had the Hebe photo printed at a reasonably competent printing
> > place.
> >
> > That shot, at ISO 250, has unacceptable noise in all places, black, and
> > coloured, and this shows up at 8 x 10 (A4). I will try running Neat
> > Image and see what transpires.
> >
> > Brian Swale.

No. the noisy Hebe image was treated normally; 3648 x 2736 pixels.

I wondered if there was a conflict between colour spaces ( is that the right
expression) I have the camera set at normal rgb and he was using one of
the Adobe programs which would have expected Adobe rgb.

I don't know why I had the ISO set as high as 250. There was some wind,
and I did manage a speed of 1/250 sec at about f/11. This certainly stilled
any potential movement in the image(s)

The screen scrape technique, which I use to make copies for my own
information of images on my screen in programs that do not permit saving a
copy, is not one I would normally use for producing a print. In this instance
however, the colour/detail qualities of the image were just wonderful to my
eyes that I thought I'd try it. I was not disappointed .

Brian Swale.