Re: [OM] (OM) Noise with E-3

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Noise with E-3
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 04:28:45 +1300
Moose wrote
> On 12/12/2011 11:34 PM, Brian Swale wrote:
> > Today I had the Hebe photo printed at a reasonably competent printing
> > place.
> >
> > That shot, at ISO 250, has unacceptable noise in all places, black, and
> > coloured, and this shows up at 8 x 10 (A4). I will try running Neat
> > Image and see what transpires.
>
> As Chuck pointed out, that could be a result of sloppy image processing.
> there is certainly noise in the shadows of the web image. Unfortunately,
> that tells little about the noise state of the original, RAW file.
> Sometimes downsampling will emphasize noise so that the smaller file
> actually looks noisier, sometimes the reverse. It all depends on too many
> factors, application and settings used, downsizing ratio, whether shadows
> have been lifted, either in processing or in camera, whether processing
> that makes noise more obvious, like LCE, sharpening, etc. has been done
> etc.
>
> I always apply noise reduction at full size and before other processing.
> Sometimes, a second application after processing and downsampling is
> useful, but only with very noisy files, unlike here.

I applied Neat Image twice over a copy of the original; once over the flowers
to remove red speckle, and once over the background to remove the dusty-
looking noise. The image is cleaned up a lot; in fact I wonder if it is so
clean
that it is unrealistic.

Thanks for your images. I do not have the luxury of being able to do
selective DOF in the computer, nor various other functions on selected
portions of an image that Adobe can do.

I will have another print done and see what transpires.

It will  be the cropped version. Since the intention is to have it as a nicely
framed wall hanging, I think (as I visualise it) it looks much better when
nearly but not quite centralised.

Brian Swale.