Re: [OM] Ten

Subject: Re: [OM] Ten
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 20:50:51 +0000
I think that this is bordering on tosh.  How can it be a cliché if you can't do
it any longer?  Andrew has put together a bit of pap for the masses, using a
bit of popular argot to show that he is one of his audience, and we are all
vying for who hates supposed clichés more.

Narrow DoF is just a technique, using a long shutter to blur movement (whether
of water or of any other subject) likewise.  Yes, sunsets might be a little
over-familiar in some areas of popular photography, but that doesn't make it a
cliché (which I was taught at school was, "a hackneyed phrase or saying"); you
are merely using the warmer light of the end of the day.

You might as well say that most of the latest of Nathan's gallery is "cliché"
because he is using the techniques for photography that he has spent many years
learning and enjoying.

Tosh, I say! :-)

Chris