[OM] OT: NX200 -- first outing.

Subject: [OM] OT: NX200 -- first outing.
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 07:25:26 +0000
Well, I bought another compact system camera.  I had planned to go the Panny
GX1 route since I really liked the 20/1.7, but the appearance of the NX200 was
auspicious and I received mine about a week ago.  It lacks the connectivity of
Ken's camera, but has the benefit of interchangeable lenses: I bought the 30/2
and 16/2.4.

Its first real test was indoor and low-light photography -- some of our
students enjoying their Christmas Ball.  The exposures were fine, and the
little flash did well (I am comparing it with the GF1 which did so well at
these occasions) but I had left it on AWB (from a firmware update) and the
results were quite desaturated.  I will do as Ken suggested years ago, leave it
on Daylight and accept the colour cast as being similar to using daylight
colour film.  If that doesn't do the trick, I shall have to see about using the
Custom features, as Ken does so effectively with his E1.

I can't yet use RAW with the camera, owing to the fact that Apple doesn't yet
support such files, and I'm not going to use Samsung's awful converter
software, but it's probably better to stick with jpegs anyway as the RAW files
are quite large -- at 45Mb plus.

<https://picasaweb.google.com/flyulas/ChristmasBall2011?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPmb24WV-MLKTw&feat=directlink>

Some shots are with the Pentax K-5 and Metz 44 flash, the later shots are NX200
ones.  There is little artistic merit to these images, and they were taken, for
the most part, by people who had had a little to drink . . .

Chris