Re: [OM] [OT] Booting from an eSATA drive

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Booting from an eSATA drive
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 20:45:58 -0500
I believe I have successfully done this but not via booting from a "USB
device" since it's not a USB device.

I regularly clone my boot drive to an eSATA drive.  I normally don't
(anymore) test to see it the drive is actually bootable after the
cloning but I have done so.  I think the first time I did it I played it
safe and swapped the clone for the C: drive.  That, of course, works
fine with no reconfiguration.  The second time (and I'm stretching my
memory here) I believe I just went to the BIOS and selected the
appropriate drive to boot from from the list of 3 SATA drives shown.  Of
course, the BIOS doesn't give you a drive letter to play with.  But if
you check the BIOS before adding the third drive you'll see what your C:
and D: drive are called there.

I didn't do anything other than wait for the boot to finish and then
immediately shut down because I was concerned about what might be
happening to C: drive references on the cloned drive which was at that
time not operating as C:.  But AFAIK, what you're trying to do should work.

I suppose it's possible you have something in the boot sequence that's
referring to C: and, of course, the drive is not C:

Chuck Norcutt