Re: [OM] Software upgrade treadmill - Picture Window Pro

Subject: Re: [OM] Software upgrade treadmill - Picture Window Pro
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 07:49:52 -0600
In fairness, PWP has little plugin support, so much of the argument is
moot. But one thing I have noticed time and again is how brilliantly fast
the program is and how powerful the masking tools are. The brush function
is a bit weak and doesn't have synthisis and other doodads like that, but
for crying out loud, the program is quite inexpensive.

There is absolutely no bloatware in PWP.

Every once in a while I need layer editing, but have found that there is
usually more than one way to slice that onion. The working metaphore is
closer to that of a darkroom than a drafting program. You take your image,
run processes on it to get copies of it on your desktop. Build masks, apply
masks, etc., and then merge your selected images and masks together for the
final composition--pretty much just like you do with Photoshop layers, but
the working environment is different.

Specific reason to upgrade: The workflow engine is improved. I will edit
multiple images with same or similar steps. Just like you would with
Lightroom. spend the time with the first image to get it exactly right and
then apply that workflow to other images. The new workflow engine allows
for stop points which you can make a manual adjustment before continuing
on. An example of this is where I can pause the script so I can make an
exposure correction before it cruises on and does all the heavy lifting.
Fast? On my laptop which came from Gondwana, it will do a 10 step (full
image manipulation) workflow in about the same length of time it takes the
laptop to raw convert one E-1 file. Yes, it cruises.

I do welcome the other changes too--especially the raw converter.

AG