Re: [OM] (OM) OT A note for facebook users

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT A note for facebook users
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 12:39:25 -0600
> What? You think in 20 years your flashy new Android will still hold sway?
Really? It's a wannabe. Maybe a nice wannabe, but still a wannabe. Apple
drives the market, and you know it. The only question is whether Apple will
continue to drive the market now that the Great and Mighty Jobs has assumed
room temperature.

Most companies lose thier way when the autocrat leader and visionary is no
more. It really does come down to vision. When a company transitions from
"rah rah, we can do this to "maintain stockholder value" it is only a
matter of time before the bells ring.

Will Apple continue to be a powerhouse in five years? I really don't think
so. In the 1990's the popular thing was to be seen driving around in a BMW,
Audi or Saab. These days the popular thing is to be seen driving an iPad.
Saab is no more and BMW and Audi cars look absolutely no different than the
average Honda, Toyota or Buick. It's better to be seen in a Prius.

The problem with exclusivity is that once everybody has acquired the
exclusive, the exclusive is no longer exclusive. At some point, once
iThingies are no longer "special" the masses will find something else to go
chase.

No, I have no illusions that my current Android phone will be special in
two years when I replace it. In fact, last night I picked up a box of all
our old cellphones. It's amazing how "eeeewww" they were and had a hard
time believing that one day there were "cool". At each stage of the game,
though, the phone was the best for me at that time.

Ever notice that once you put whatever cover on these cellphones they all
look alike, anyway?

AG