Re: [OM] (no subject)

Subject: Re: [OM] (no subject)
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 15:41:08 -0700

> >     Many of the lists/networks I subscribe to tend to be more
anti-social
> > than anything else.  This one is far better than average.
>

> Historically, this list has been unlike anything I've seen elsewhere. It's
> as close to the "campfire experience" as you'll probably ever see on the
> Interwebs. Other than the Oben experience (don't ask--you can pretty well
> guess), it has been an environment made up of friends from various walks
of
> life. If there is any one stereotype, there are a lot of engineers on this
> list. The non-engineers are various flavors of "Doctors" both medical and
> educational. There are more bonifide SMEs (Subject Matter Experts) around
> here than I see anywhere else. And most importantly, this group is made up
> of many highly generous individuals.
>
> All this has created a nice environment of people who pretty well like
each
> other and consider each other friends. I can't think of anybody that I
> wouldn't put up for the night.  OK, OK, I might have to think twice about
> Andrew. ;)

    The majority of lists I subscribe to are related to radio, antennas
(aerials), and analogue electronics design.  There are a number of people
who have yet to come to grips with the fact that the Cold War is over and
who will explode over any mention of a certain radio amateur (and broadcast
engineer) in Cuba.  And there are type A+++ personalities and adverse egos
that go well beyond what I had experienced when working for a living.

    I also subscribe to a number of outdoor groups which their own ups and
downs, especially those that have anarchistic lurkers who explode at any
mention of illegal immigration.  Wildflower interest groups are well above
average in sociability, but when you get into the rafting groups, especially
those related to the Grand Canyon, you will encounter people who have been
away from society for a bit too long.  And then there are the environmental
groups...

Chris