[OM] (OM) Re: Couple of orchids for the New Year

Subject: [OM] (OM) Re: Couple of orchids for the New Year
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 01:51:47 +1300
Mike wrote
> One Phrag two ways--one stack and one stopped down straight shot.
> Interested in anyone's preference. (prefering both or neither will be
> noted as well) Too late in the season for any hope of using the garden for
> a bit of a color wash in the background. Also it is dramatically easier to
> get a good stack w/o wind or changing light. Could not get a stack with
> the 10 images I had for the cattleya despite much effort for those reasons
> so I picked one I liked and worked with it a bit. The Combine ZP pyramid
> algorithm will crash if run on winders 64bit.  I should probably just get
> Zerene stacker already.
>
> Mike
>

> http://www.olyendomike.com/Other/Macro-2011/17867689_kKxpHP#1648485667_LRb
> SZFc-XL-LB
>
> http://www.olyendomike.com/Other/Macro-2011/17867689_kKxpHP#1648515404_Dqg
> 8TWd-L-LB
>

> http://www.olyendomike.com/Other/Macro-2011/17867689_kKxpHP#1654689698_Xv8
> fDrW-XL-LB
 I really liked the last one; magnified at 200% in Chrome it was still
substantially sharp where it mattered, and the colours are magnificent.

I am puzzled about the first  two. They seemed equally lacking in sharpness
in some of the petals where they could have been sharp; but I have not seen
the flowers at first hand to be sure. I suggest try again with a little side
light
to pick up surface relief / detail.
Nothing wrong at all about the background in my book. Just fine. Nothing to
distract from the subject, and not boringly uniform (as my black velvet often
can be).

I have tried non-uniform backgrounds such as crinkled ornamental parcel
wrapping paper, but in my opinion I just didn't get there. Your backgrounds
are satisfyingly non-uniform and with great bokeh.

Is there any way you could stand back a bit so the f/11 ?  has the whole
flower in focus, then crop the surrounds out as required? You probably have
enough surplus image to get away with that technique and still gain overall
with the shot rather than lose anything.

Brian Swale.