Re: [OM] WTB Grip for OM-3,3Ti,4,4T,4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] WTB Grip for OM-3,3Ti,4,4T,4Ti
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 09:08:42 -0600
> I don't have a clue whether the winder2 damps or resonates the
> inherent vibration, but me thinks it's an interesting problem to pose
> and solve.

It is my own personal belief that the winder does help. We're adding mass
to the camera and also greatly increasing the physical contact-patch
between camera and hands. However, I think the MD2 tops it all off. Primary
reasons are:

1. Smoother, detentless shutter-release

2. Greater mass

3. An improved contact patch between winder body and camera body--providing
additional stiffness and reducing harmonics

4. Smoothest sprocket-drive film advance known to man. Those
counter-rotating motors in the grip neautralize the slight twist. Granted,
this is post-exposure, but it does affect the next image if you are
triggering two or more in quick succession.

5. I can't be sure about this without a teardown of the MD2 (which won't
happen to mine), but I believe the solonoid in the winder which pushes the
shutter-release mechanism isn't as well damped or is positioned in such a
way that it does induce movement. There is a distinct difference in feel
between the Winder1, Winder2 and the MD2. I think the Winder1 is actually a
little better than the Winder2 in this regard, but maybe it's because mine
is so worn that it is inherently smooth.

My only issues with the MD2 come down to these points:

1. Weight. It transforms the camera from a causual photographic instrument
into a serious hunk of photographic gear.

2. Offset tripod screw point.

3. When using a tripod, not only does the offset irk, but with the
battery-pack in place, we've added another vibration and movement prone
interface. However, in the case of the Winder1/2, the winder body is just
not stiff enough to resist movement when a heavy lens is used.

4. The MD1 battery pack has the metal tab for a grip strap. This digs into
the palm. I'm glad they removed it in the MD2 pack.

My old Winder1 is positively worn to a frazzle. It spent the bulk of its
life mated to the OM-2S. Easily over 100,000 images shot with it. I killed
two Winder2 units, but the Winder1 kept on working and working and
working... What I notice most about the winders is how raspy they are. The
MD2 makes more of a "snick" sound.

As I'm typing this, I just came to a realization. I really don't know for
sure if the winder helps with vibration or not. As my primary camera for
all those years was the OM-2S, the pre-actuation of the aperture may have a
greater impact on stability than the added mass of the winder. But on the
OM-3Ti and OM-4T, I know for a fact the MD2 helps.

AG