[OM] advice on Canon point and shoots

Subject: [OM] advice on Canon point and shoots
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 11:13:00 -0400
I have some credit card points to spend which my wife would like to enjoy in
the form of a new point and shoot digital camera. The credit card catalogue
has two offerings from Canon:

Power Shot ELPH 100 Silver, Model 4924B002

Power Shot ELPH 300 HS Black, Model 5096B002

The credit card points for the 300 are 20% more than for the 100 whereas on
the Canon.ca web site the 100 is almost 8% more expensive than the 300.

According to Canon web site the features and specs od both cameras are
almost identical including an "effective" pixel rating of 12.1 mp, a "1/2.3
inch" CMOS [whatever that means?], a 3" LCD screen and a 24-120mm zoom lens
as expressed in 35mm terms..

No reference is made anywhere to the file format in which image files can be
stored.

Does anyone have any recommendations about these cameras ?

jh