Re: [OM] The great OM focusing screen conundrum

Subject: Re: [OM] The great OM focusing screen conundrum
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 15:32:52 +0000
Split image rangefinder spots in SLR focus screens are effectively
rangefinders with a base distance the width of the front element of the
lens. So, accuracy with those varies with focal length and lens.  Generally
a rangefinder base should be at least as long as the focal length (ideally
longer) for any reasonable accuracy.

Stock canon screens will show DOF changes below f/2.8-3.5 in my experience.
The EC-s will show differences below about 2.0-2.8, about a stop better (and
darker). I use the EC-s on the 1v when I shoot 35mm. It's a good screen,
probably as good as it gets for canon and manual focus lenses.

-Ed