Re: [OM] Leaked possible Fuji mirrorless offering

Subject: Re: [OM] Leaked possible Fuji mirrorless offering
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 10:53:59 -0500
That's one of the reasons right there. Even though the D3 is a noise killer, I
still am uncomfortable at a starting point of 200. The new 100 really appeals.
I never use the extended range option, mostly because I'm lazy, and everything
I've read says it sucks. <g>

There's a new processing engine in the D4 as well, advanced over the D3 and
D3s, which I would have bought if I could have justified it, but I just
couldn't, so I didn't. No ROI, as Ken puts it. Especially in the depths of
depression, er, recession. But things may be changing, and if they are, I'll
spring for the D4--unless the itch for that Epson 7900 becomes unscratchable.
<g>

Plain fact is, I'm mostly driven by instinct, intuition and emotion rather than
logic, reason and good sense. Crunching numbers gives me a headache. I have
nothing but respect and a good measure of jealousy for people who can make hard
business decisions with objective distance, but I've known myself long enough
to know that's not how I work. There are some tricks old dogs just won't learn.
Sigh.

Truth to tell, I probably could shoot with the D3 until I assume room
temperature and would remain happy and satisfied--and that might well happen.
When the D3 came out I was in the process of trying to decide which way to
escape the Oly digital mess, and that instinctive bone just sent me spiraling
out of control to buy something on the cutting edge rather than the trailing
edge. I haven't regretted the decision, but I have learned over the years that
too much of that kind of instinctive leap can be detrimental to one's health.

As a rule I let major purchases simmer for quite a while before jumping in. My
wife has a rule of thumb: Think about it for at least a month. If you still
want it after enough time has passed, then do it. Otherwise, let it go. With
big ticket items, I try to extend that month to something like a year. With the
Epson 7900, it's been since the damn thing came out. <g> Problem is, there's
just enough logic in my system to realize that the 3880 meets 90 percent of my
needs, and the other 10 percent can be met by Miller's Lab.

I'll let the D4 hit the shelves. If, after this season, I still want it and the
balance sheet say I can do it, then wooohooooo!

--Bob