[OM] (OM) OT That auction of Andris Apse's camera etc

Subject: [OM] (OM) OT That auction of Andris Apse's camera etc
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 20:58:41 +1300
Not long before the auction closed, I sent through the eBay questions
process, a question to  Photo and Video asking where the body was.

Greg the owner didn't realise how it was that was asking ... :-)
(I've known him and dealt with him for more than 30 years)

Here's his somewhat amazing response ...

Actually it is the aluminium bit at the front left as you look at the
picture. The body is nearly nothing, as it is just a block to put the
ground glass screen or film back on, and on the other side goes the lens.
Each lens has an individual focus helicoil, and it relies on either having
masses of DOF or using the ground glass. As it happens there has been a
complication with the sale. The owner is a famous  ( in New Zealand )
photographer called Andris Apse, a few folk want his stuff to be placed in
a museum and all kept together so we have had to withdraw the lot whilst it
is sorted out. We may well re-list it soon. It cost Andris $25,000 USD to
have it all made a few years ago, obviously they doesn't want that much for
it, but we will re-list it as soon as they decide. Search his web site and
look at his images, he is a perfectionist. I will try and remember to let
you know when we re-list. Cheers, Greg.

Brian Swale.