[OM] Lightroom 4 beta

Subject: [OM] Lightroom 4 beta
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 11:27:16 -0500
I'm no shill for Adobe, but I've been perusing the features in Lightroom 4's
beta. There are new features and vastly improved features. For example, in
addition to Print, Web and Slideshow modules, Adobe has added a Book module.
Lay out your book and send it to the publisher right from Lightroom.

But it's in the Develop module that the magic has happened. I won't go into
detail, but anyone looking to upgrade post processing ought to know that it
appears to me that when it hits the shelves, Lightroom 4 will have achieved
standalone status, that is, for 95 percent of what we do, Lightroom will be all
you need. A pipeline right from RAW to Print. Or Web. Or Book. Or Slideshow.
No, you can't composite, and you can't add type layers, or any of the really
fancy stuff, but for straight processing, I'm not sure why you'd need Photoshop
anymore.

LR4 has even added soft proofing. (For those of you who are real print fans,
the inability to soft proof has been a real weakness in previous editions of
Lightroom.

Pretty amazing. I'm just getting used to Lightroom 3 and I'm thinking about
downloading the beta for 4 just to use some of the new develop features.

--Bob