Re: [OM] IMG: Vultures

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Vultures
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 05:55:18 +0000
Jim

That is interesting.  It should have been obvious from the wingtip vortices
that there was a fair amount of pressure activity going on at the wingtip (says
a pilot, with plenty of hindsight :-))

I seem to remember that some wings have little strakes on the upper surface to
reduce spanwise flow; also that some aircraft with wingtip missile rails, like
the F5 and F16, can lose a bit of drag by the same effect as a winglet.

But then the F16 and F18 have vortices off the wing root rather than tip.  I
always thought that that might be an interesting indicator of a more efficient
wing.  When flying the Tornado and Jaguar often thought that the wingtip
vortices were cool, but I could have done without that extra drag, particularly
when "fighting".

Chris