[OM] S100 mini review [was New Toy]

Subject: [OM] S100 mini review [was New Toy]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 21:07:07 -0800
On 1/12/2012 3:51 AM, Jez Cunningham wrote:
> Nice (daylight) pictures - looking forward to something more challenging!

If you looked at the exposure info, you will know that many of the later shots,
at sunset and in shadow, were in quite
dim light. I'm looking forward to dimmer light yet, but not working to make it
happen. All will come in time. I can
certainly think of times past when it would have made a big improvement in
shots.

> I very much like my S95 - but I didn't see what really changed on the S100.

A brief summary from dpreview:

"The S100 is in effect a whole new camera compared to the S95; almost every key
feature has been upgraded or updated:

  * 24-120mm (equivalent) lens range, F2.0-5.9, built-in neutral density filter
  * 12.1 MP 1/1.7" Canon CMOS sensor
  * DIGIC 5 image processor
  * ISO 80-6400
  * 2.3 fps continuous shooting (9.6 fps for 8 frames in High-Speed burst mode)
  * Full HD (1080p24) movie recording; H.264 compression, MOV format
  * Optical zoom in movie mode
  * Super slow motion movie recording (640 x 480 @ 120fps, 320 x 240 @ 240 fps)
  * Direct movie record button
  * Built-in GPS unit with image tagging and logger functions"

More detail available here. <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons100/>

> What tipped it for you?

I was already interested. My favorite compact cameras for carrying everywhere
were the Fuji F10 and F30. The size,
weight and the wonderful Fuji carrying case made carrying truly transparent.
Horizontal belt carry in a semi-rigid case,
with the flap held closed by a magnetic clasp, rather than velcro, was simply
superior to anything I've had before or since.

I've wanted something similar ever since, but with other improvements. :-)   As
I suspected, although the dimensions are
slightly different, the S100 fits very well in the old Fuji case.

So the scales were already ready to tip. I was already ready to compromise on
things like an articulated screen in favor
of size and weight. What were the factors that did it? Primarily the new
imaging elements - wider zoom range lens,
faster processor and lower noise sensor.

The prior lens just was not the right range for me. The new one may be slow at
the long end, but that's the price of the
size, at least it gets there and the high ISO performance improvement helps.

The new, CMOS sensor has amazingly low noise even in shadows at ISO 80 and is
distinctly better at 1600 than the S95. 12
MP is a shrug item. 10 would have been fine, but performance has improved
anyway...

The new processor is clearly quicker than my G11. The camera is generally very
responsive.

Secondary considerations are the movie stuff and GPS. I've had some fun with
movies on the 60D and the one I tried of
the tiny 'waterfall' came out quite nice. The dedicated movie button for
instant use seems likely to be useful for
spontaneous things.

I use an iGotU logger, when I remember, to tag my images. The GPS in the
Samsung WB650 is less useful than I would like.
It takes long enough to get a fix that casual shots where the camera is only on
for a few moments don't get tagged. And
of course those are the very ones so hard to pin down later.

With the S100, there is a logging function. I'm not sure how useful it will be
for that, but it means the camera can be
keeping track of its location even when off. So even casual, "on/shoot/off"
shots are tagged. Tagging was quite accurate
on this first outing.

As a pure logger, it is at least slightly handicapped. For one thing, it only
logs at fixed 3 minute intervals. That's
to save the battery, and not too bad for the S100 itself, as all images are
tagged. Makes it less attractive as a
replacement for the true logger when shooting with more than one camera, though.

The battery was down one step after shooting and tagging 110 shots. That is not
as good as the G11, but it's battery is
twice the capacity, with little more to do and no GPS to operate. I bought a
couple of $6 replacement batteries that
claim 5.18 Watt Hours, vs the 3.9 of the Canon original. Even if not true, they
are tiny and easily carried backups. *

It didn't log while the camera was on - the whole walk through the gardens.
When I turned it off, put it on my belt and
drove home, it logged that trip. Reading the manual, it seems that the logging
function is only initiated, after being
activated in the menu, when the camera is turned off. Whether it will then keep
logging as the camera is turned on and
off, or only when off, the manual doesn't say and I haven't yet tested.

Worst surprise? Canon has finally given in; the manual is only on disk. This is
a big disappointment, as there are so
many functions and details a reference is very useful, and a disk version is
hard to view in the field.

Worst non-surprise? Although I've branched out to a wide range of angles of
view over the last decade, my love for
capturing small details with long teles is still strong. 120 mm is short for
me; but then so was the 140 of the G11. ;-)

We are used to carrying multiple lenses. How about multiple cameras that are
smaller and lighter than those lenses? The
S100 and WB650 make an interesting pair. Canon for IQ and higher ISOs, Sammy
for three times the reach in decent light.

> thanks

Thank you, for leading me to do the mini review I might not otherwise have done.

Moose

* Odd thing. Some months ago, I noticed a slightly scuffed up Canon charger in
my misc. camera stuff. No idea where it
came from. Maybe I found it somewhere and tossed it in the box when I got
home?. It turns out to be for the battery used
in several compacts, including  - the S100! So I have a spare, I'll take it as
an omen that the S100 was a wise choice. :-)