Re: [OM] OM focusing screen

Subject: Re: [OM] OM focusing screen
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 09:44:21 -0600
Moose wrote:
> It's been some time since I used different screens. I'm mostly happy with
a 1-13 or 2-13, although one OM-4 has a 2-4 in it.

Mine are all equipped with either 2-13 or 2-4 screens. I really like the
2-4 except my eyes kinda fool me now and it's not as easy to focus when
working quickly indoors around people. For landscapy photogrpahy, the 2-4
is simply wonderful.

> I do have, and have used at least briefly, a 1-3, but preferred 1-1. And
really, I think the combo screens are best all
> around, if focusing aids are desired. The plain matte screens are also
very nice, if one is blessed with good vision.

For a long time I used a microprism spot screen. I really liked it because
the focusing aid was small and didn't bother my eye-flow too much. The
microprism is something that takes a while to get used to but when you do
it really is an amazing tool. Screens that have both split-image and
microprism collars are a bit troublesome because the microprism area is off
centered and is usually so large that it just divides up the image into
distinct zones. Eye-flow, especially in an 1-13 screen is impossible. The
brightness level change in the 1-13 is such that I can't make an artistic
image very well. As a standard screen for standard people photography, it's
not that big of a deal, but when doing tripod-style photography, the 1-13
stinks.

Honestly, though, there are other screens from other cameras that make the
1-13 seem glorious on so many levels. It's all relative.

AG