Re: [OM] Bibble=>AfterShot [was Sagelight editor]

Subject: Re: [OM] Bibble=>AfterShot [was Sagelight editor]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 13:32:25 -0800
On 1/18/2012 5:00 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I don't know anything about Bibble but it has certainly gotten me a full
> AfterShot Pro.  Just follow the two links and sequence I and others
> outlined in a previous mail... first download and install the free trial
> version, then buy the $20 "upgrade" item which will give you a serial
> number.  Start the trial version and use the help menu "unlock" entry to
> record the serial number and register the product.

I didn't download and install the trial version first. Just bought, downloaded,
installed and entered the serial # when
it first started.

> Since I still haven't bothered to learn Lightroom (which I've owned for
> a long time) I've probably just wasted my 20 bucks but it's a small
> wager for some possibility of unique or easier than PS functionality.

A few years ago, I compared the results of Raw conversion from 3 (I think)
different apps. Back then, there were actual
differences in rendering of fine detail at 100%, although whether they'd ever
be visible in actual displays is unlikely.
There are also differences in highlight recovery. Dpreview showed them very
clearly in their 5D review, where they
compared several aspects of JPEGs, the two apps that came with the camera,
RawShooter, ACR and Bibble Pro. They found
quite significant differences in rendering of color and of very fine detail
here.
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5d/page20.asp> And important
differences in highlight recovery here.
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5d/page23.asp>

So one thing I've started is a comparison of ACR, SageLight and AfterShot Raw
conversions. I'm not expecting big
differences, but who knows?

RAW Moose