Re: [OM] Does Kodak Chapter 11 Mean the End of C-41 Film?

Subject: Re: [OM] Does Kodak Chapter 11 Mean the End of C-41 Film?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 21:25:55 -0800
On 1/19/2012 7:10 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> The news for the last couple of days has dealt with Kodak filing for Chapter
> 11 bankruptcy.  What does this mean for C-41 film?  I just purchased a film
> camera and don't want to resume darkroom work after all these years.

I'm sure C-41 will outlive you, Jim; probably me too.

First of all, movies still use a huge amount of film stock. Something like 85%
of theaters worldwide are not digital,
and require film prints.

Second, no matter what happens to Kodak, at least part of their film production
capability will stay in operation,
whether as part of a much smaller Kodak, as an independent entity or as part of
some other acquiring company.

Third, Fuji is still a major producer of C-41 films. If, for some reason Kodak
production really dies, Fuji gets fat.

Moose