Re: [OM] Kodak Chapter 11

Subject: Re: [OM] Kodak Chapter 11
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 16:51:34 -0800
On 1/21/2012 8:15 AM, Willie Wonka wrote:
> I am so proud of you, Bob.
>
> You have successfully made the transition from an ordinary conservative to a
> human being...:)
>
> Now...how difficult is to grasp the concept of abolishing the monetary system
> and Capitalism?

Really quite difficult. Yes, I've spent some time thinking about this off and
on over the years.

Any barter system that will work for large communities in areas with seasons
just ends up with something that may have a
different name, but amounts to money.

Many of the results of Capitalism are ugly. Yet when I look around at past and
present, I see nothing that isn't at
least as bad. Alternative systems based on forms of collectivism only seem to
work for small, cohesive communities, and
even then tend to fail sooner or later. It seems to me that the best system
we've ever had is benevolent despotism.
Unfortunately even the most benevolent despots eventually die.

What alternative(s) do you have to offer?

Might the problem really have nothing to do with money, in itself, or the
mechanisms for allocating resources to balance
individual and collective good, but with limitations to human abilities to
govern - both themselves and their communities?

Moose

* Capitalism - the use of capitals at the beginning of some nouns?