Re: [OM] Sagelight editor

Subject: Re: [OM] Sagelight editor
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 16:26:28 -0600
> I'm not sure I'd agree that it's teetering on the brink. If it is, it's
> because of Lightroom.

That's what I was referring to. It's getting to the point, if not well
past the point where it is very very hard to justify the cost of
Photoshop. Since Lightroom (or equivalent) is doing the brunt of our
work, a fancy editor is used for only those things which aren't
Lightroom friendly. But it is getting to be very little that Lightroom
isn't able to do. What you can't do in Lightroom, you can do in a $100
editor.

The premise, though, is that the very presence of Lightroom has turned
Photoshop into an overpriced, pudgy beast of a program that requires a
very expensive computer to even run well. With the cost of
upgrade--especially now with the enforced "thou shalt upgrade EVERY
time, no matter what" policy, people are seriously starting to
consider not even bothering ever upgrading Photoshop again.

As we've seen over and over again, it doesn't take much for the
leading product in a category to dive in a hurry. Ten years ago,
nobody expected Palm to cease to exist. Five years ago Crackberrys
ruled the world. Some of us remember Wordstar, Wordperfect and DBase+.
How about Sears and GM? Hewlett-Packard, anyone? It wasn't long ago
that Dubai was the place to be.

KODAK.

Eventually, everything will go the way of the Roman Empire. It's just
a matter of time. Sometimes it ends because of the obesity of age,
sometimes it ends because of some upstart that is able to ride a new
operating metaphor into the limelight. Sometimes the knowledge of how
to make concrete disappears for a couple thousand years.

> Candace, Chuck, and I'd guess others find four up comparisons of images
> really important. I can surely see that if I
> were doing portraiture and shooting lots of near duplicates.

Oh, being able to have two or four up comparison is a gold feature. I
use this all the time for exactly what you are talking about. It's a
huge time saver.

AG