Re: [OM] LR at 300 dpi was Sagelight editor

Subject: Re: [OM] LR at 300 dpi was Sagelight editor
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 02:30:32 -0800
On 1/24/2012 1:59 AM, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Ah, my mistake. I thought you were a bit more mainstream.
>> I may give sermons or messages at one location of a tiny,  obscure Christian
>> denomination, but that is paling, as I feel
>> restricted even there.
> Bored with the snakes, hey?

I only signed up because I thought they swam with dolphins.

>> You can't call it that here, legally, but dream work is some of the most
>> useful therapy I know of for many people.
> My problem is that, in normal circumstances, I not only don't remember my
> dreams but I don't remember having dreamt at all. I'm envious of my niece and
> brother-in-law who are lucid dreamers. I suspect that's why I have so much
> trouble with Surrealism.

The physiological data is clear. At least every mammal dreams. Typical
scientists; once they discovered REM sleep
dreams, they assumed, without testing, that it was the only time we dream.
Bzzzzzzz, wrong, thank you for playing. Some
fool thought to wake up people who were not in REM sleep and - guess what? -
many of them were dreaming.

My experience has been that those who don't remember that they have dreamt, let
alone any dreams, do remember dreams if
the context expects them to do so.

Typical is a multi-day workshop or a multi-session group where a non-dream
spouse has been dragged along. Somewhere
along the line, probably past the halfway mark, but not at the end ... Said
non-dreamer will say something like "The
funniest thing happened. I woke up this morning and ..." or "the funniest ... I
was relaxing this afternoon after lunch
and was startled by a phone ringing. I looked around and saw no phone, then
realized that I had fallen asleep and a
phone ringing in a dream awakened me to a dream I remember." So far, it's been
100%.

Psychologically speaking, this is, of course a self selected group, and proves
nothing. Those spouses who didn't want to
finally remember, and work on the meanings of, a dream chose not to be dragged
along.

There also seems to be other unconscious psychology at work. Those who attend
classes or a workshop near home seem less
likely to remember a life changing dream than those who went to time and
expense to be there. Especially interesting are
classes taken as fun by those who have traveled far for a summer session
primarily for other, serious classes.

>> The drum journey here Feb 2nd. is full, but I could arrange one for you. :-)
> See you in the Sweat Lodge! Do I have to learn the Hokey Pokey?

I never 'got' sweat lodges. They are too small and the ceilings too low for the
Hokey Pokey, anyway. :-)

>> * Yup, I'm happy to teach from The Hitchhiker's Guide. I once quite
>> successfully used a stripped down version of the
>> first sequence of the first book as a as the basis for a spiritual lesson in
>> a series of small group sessions Carol and
>> I held.
> Douglas Adams - the thinking man's Messiah.

I'm not a big Messiah guy. Great teacher, sure.

>> My favorite definition of myth is quoted by Robert A. Johnson (psych, not
>> guitar) It was from the nine year old daughter
>> of a friend of his. "Myth is something that's not true outside, but is true
>> inside."
> Which perhaps says all that needs to be said about the concept of 'truth'.

A great deal of it, anyway. ;-)

Nice bit of fun, thanks!

No Sweat Moose