Re: [OM] QR plate recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] QR plate recommendation
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:04:50 -0800
Going back 11 months -

On 2/26/2011 6:28 AM, Daniel Sepke wrote:
> Chuck,
>
> I would agree that the initial cost to get into Arca plate systems are
> higher in comparison than Manfrotto but I believe they offer a better
> universal system. There are several makers to select from for plates and
> heads at several price points. I also firmly believe it really is a system
> just like the cameras we buy and should be considered as such.

> So how did I solve the problem of cost? ... Of late I have started to
> see Chinese made Arca compatible plates offered direct on eBay at very steep
> discounts.

In my quest for the perfect hand strap set-up, I ended up replacing the plastic
bottom plates of my first couple with
solid metal plates that are both smaller and much more stable. These plates are
also, as it happens, Arca-Swiss system
compatible.

As I already was using a Velbon QR system, I couldn't see paying the prices I
was seeing for A-S clamps. Still, with two
plates stacked on the bottom of  my DSLRs, it was slightly awkward, a bit silly
looking and not quite as stable as I
would like.

Recently, I ran across some Chinese made A-S products at more reasonable
prices. I bought a combo of Desmond clamp and
Fotopro plate for $30, including shipping. I bought them from a US seller on
the 'Bay.
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/200652788619?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT>
The same seller also sells on Amazon, but didn't have the same deal.

The clamp was very stiff on one side at first. The seller promptly offered a
refund, but I was able to work it out with
a little lube and lots of manipulation.  I think it's probably a one off
problem. I would buy another from him if I
decide on this system. Although I've not used other A-S stuff, I can't see
anything missing in these. Nicely made, with
safety stops on the plate and level on the clamp.

Comparing it to the system I've been using is a mixed bag. The Velbon system is
much quicker on and off. The A-S is
slower than I had anticipated, with all that twisting, but rock solid. Velbon
plates are smaller and held in solidly on
one end, but only by a small contact point of a cam on a slightly soft metal
plate, so not as solid.

I've put the clamp on my primary tripod and removed the Velbon plates from the
DSLRs. Next serious shooting day will
tell the tale.

Q. R. Moose