Re: [OM] Site of the last self-propelled Zuikofest--now Zuiko 90

Subject: Re: [OM] Site of the last self-propelled Zuikofest--now Zuiko 90
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 20:08:44 -0800
On 1/24/2012 4:41 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> What's the actual value of a *macro* lens that offers somewhat superior
> image quality... wide open?  Say what?  :-)

In fact, it was being evaluated as a general purpose lens, not as a macro lens
"at lowish mags".

It is common enough, and not unreasonable, to value more highly a lens that
performs well at wider apertures. The
difference between an excellent and a decent lens at f8-11 is often very small,
so we get that no matter which one we
choose. The differences wide open may be very great, so that's where we put
emphasis. This may be more true of Dawid
than of Moose. :-)

One of the ideas that seems to take hold in the mind of many photographers is
that 'Macro' in a lens name doesn't only
apply to the ability to focus closer, but that whatever special technical
qualities it possesses for that purpose also
make it superior at the 'easier' distances.

I certainly bought that idea in my teens and early 20s. I often went shooting
with my father's 55/3.5 Micro-Nikkor
(misnamed or not) under the likely misapprehension that it was a better general
purpose lens than the 50/1.4. I recall
wishing, when I bought by own Ftn that I could have a better lens than the 50/2
I could afford. In retrospect, that 50/2
was a very fine lens, probably as good or better at longer subject distances
than the coveted Micro-Nikkor.

I now have that very Micro-Nikkor, but the 50/1.4 I have is newer and I don't
have the 50/2, so I am saved the
temptation of testing. ;-)

If they were indeed compared at macro magnifications, sharpness wide open might
be problematic, if at the expense of
sharpness stopped down. Many contemporary lenses do turn the common knowledge
of the past on its head, sometimes being
sharper at wider apertures. I'm too lazy to look up the exact details, but know
that my Tamron 90/2.8, 1:1 macro is
sharper at macro magnifications wider than stopped down. Maybe sharpest at f2.8
for 1:2 and f4 for 1:1? Sounds great at
first, until actually planning a macro shot where I need DOF. The old Zuiko
50/3.5 is a much better 1:2 lens at f8 or
f11 than the Tammy.

Macro Moose