Re: [OM] QR plate recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] QR plate recommendation
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 20:26:05 -0800
On 1/24/2012 5:06 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Nice clamp.  I think I'd be tempted if there was an anti-twist plate
> involved.  I recently converted my Manfrotto stuff to use their
> anti-twist plates and that has made a big difference in stability of
> vertical shots.  But I don't remember paying this much for them
> <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554160-REG/Manfrotto_200PLARCH_14_200PLARCH_14_Architectural_Anti_Twist_Quick.html>

Ah well, life is full of compromises. Some of the Cullman QR plates I have have
anti-rotation that looks more flexible
than these Manfrottos. But the Cullman QR clamp/receivers are big, clumsy
things. The Velbons don't have anti-rotation,
but I live with that for their other fine qualities of size and convenience.

Then again, if the Manfrotto heads rotated to vertical the other way, they (and
I, with 3047 and 410 heads) wouldn't
need anti-rotation plates.

My current solution for general use is a ballhead. I can flop it to the right
for verticals, so lens weight tends to
tighten the QR plate.

The reason I'm not interested in the Manfrotto plates is that hand straps are
VERY important to me. As I won't use a
camera big enough for the bottom of a hand strap to connect to a lug at the
lower corner of the body, I need a plate on
the bottom of the camera, screwed into the tripod socket, that has a lug to
attach a nylon strap.

The only reason I'm trying out an A-S style clamp is that the plates I found
best for hand strap attachment happen also
to fit A-S style clamps. A possible marriage of convenience. :-)

Hand Strap Moose