Re: [OM] Site of the last self-propelled Zuikofest

Subject: Re: [OM] Site of the last self-propelled Zuikofest
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 07:44:48 -0600
Kudzu is something that just drives us nuts in the telephone industry.

There are four primary methods to get over and off the island. The National
Park Service has a rather large boat that makes the trip from Houghton.
It's a long, slow ride, but relatively comfortable. A private operator runs
much smaller and faster boats from Copper Harbor. Another operator runs a
couple different boat sizes out of Grand Portage. And there is a float
plane that flies out of Houghton-Hancock.

I would suggest the NPS boat for waffle integrity.

Regardless, book your transit months in advance.

I would also highly recommend going over to the island on Labor Day
Weekend. You will avoid the crowds and everything is still open for the
week. Stuff starts shutting down the next weekend. Best part of this time
is no bugs and some early color changes. In fact, during the week you'll
see it change before your eyes.

Our Zuikofest had beyond perfect weather, but that is quite rare.

Rock Harbor is definitely the best spot on the island to stay and day hike
from. For those inclined to backpack, the camping spots are all spaced at a
proper distance and you can do loops without backtracking. The Windigo end
has a completely different character than the east end.

AG

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx