Re: [OM] 4-up display, was: Sagelight

Subject: Re: [OM] 4-up display, was: Sagelight
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 10:00:27 -0600
> Just do it, don't even
> show them the image prior to "fixing" it.

That's pretty much the case when the client is purchasing something
specific. For example, when a family comes in for a family portrait, we
know what the desired output is going to be. We spend the effort on one
specific pose, and maybe two alternates. It is our responsibility to
present to them the one photograph that is the final outcome. We might
present the alternate poses, but again, only the best of. If little Johnny
is a pain in the arse for all but one photo and that one photo is the one
where everybody else is looking away, then I must swap him in on a good
photograph. It's just the way it is. People aren't really interested in
their portrait being forensic evidence.

I do a lot of group shots. It is my norm to take about eight photographs of
a group. If there is a problem person in the group, I'll jump that up to a
dozen or so. Beyond that and you start to lose everybody. Family shots are
a bit different. Where a group shot has a time limit until you lose
people's attention (about 60 seconds tops), a family shot you can work for
a few minutes (unless babies are involved then all bets are off).

So, with the group shots, I end up rarely needing to swap heads or eyeballs
because between 8-12 shots you are pretty well assured that you'll have one
that works. Once in a rare while I have to edit, but mostly these are
plug-and-play. Actually, I will take a few seconds to chimp the one I think
worked looking at all the eyes. If it works, I call it a day. No need to
shoot more if you know you have it in the can. Determining your selects is
where the 2-up or 4-up on-screen viewing is worth gold--especially when you
are working with numerous group shots.

One thing that really makes a difference for group and family shooting is
getting your own head from behind the camera. I like tripods for this
reason, but you lock things down and watch everybody during the exposure. I
learned this technique when shooting portraits/weddigns/events with a TLR.
I hated the camera for other reasons, but having the ability to watch the
action during the exposure was wonderful. You can see people blinking or
flinching. By the time a DSLR mirror pops back down everybody's eyes are
open and they are settled back down again. You never know what happens
during the exposure unless you chimp and chimping breaks the flow.

BTW, the next episode of "Candace Camera" is posted up on www.zone-10.com.
It's kinda releated to all this. Grand Junction must be a fun place to live.

AG