Re: [OM] OM-5D for me

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-5D for me
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 13:55:12 -0600
On Wed, Jan 25, 2012, at 10:17 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> > > Just fine. Maybe even better? :-)
> > Now I'll never be able to make it up to Ken. :(
>
> It's all good. After all, Karen wants me to get the 5D Mk3. She's hoping
> that camera would hold me over for a decade or so. Otherwise, the X-Pro1
> is
> getting some attention because of the skintones.
>
> But those OMs of yours are crying a sad song. I can hear them wail all
> the
> way to Newton.

Perhaps, but the lenses are singing the Hallelujah Chorus.  Both the
Zuikos and the poor, orphaned Nikk*rs.  With my new PC setup, film
scanning became a whole lot harder, so I will be very deliberate about
shooting film hereafter.

Dunno about the Mk3, or Mk2 for that matter.  Native 5D capture is good
enough certainly not to hold the Zuikos back WRT my purposes.  Flare is
more of a problem than with film, natch.  The color seems fine to me,
but I am not as fussy as you (our wives have not met, have they?).

As I've been working with Sagelight, I've had plenty of opportunity to
compare 5D and E3 files, which are pretty similar size-wise. I realize
how the photo sites make those pixels is different, but in working with
the two types of images, comparisons seem inevitable.  Sagelight's
processing bedazzlement is in many ways more startling with my ORF's,
but at the expense of noise creation I've never really seen before.  It
may be some extra sharpening along the way -- and I have no idea how
Sagelight is processing the camera settings for sharpness, contrast,
etc. In any case, very light noise removal creates a quite favorable
comparison between the E3 and 5D capture.  The noise isn't anything that
a normal human would notice anyway, but who's claiming to be normal
around here?  5D jpgs seemed noisier than I had expected, but I don't
shoot jpgs much anyway.  5D capture seemed at first blush like it had
been through noise removal with settings pretty high, but detail is
perfect, so whatever Canaan is doing, the balance is pretty darn good.

Joel W.