[OM] Sagelight problems with ORFs; Studio still rules

Subject: [OM] Sagelight problems with ORFs; Studio still rules
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:30:52 -0600
It seemed to me that Sagelight was not doing as well with ORFs as with
Canaan raw files, and sure enough when I compared carefully, Sagelight
seems to mess up something or other.  Initially, I thought maybe that an
E-1 ORF I was working with just didn't have enough pixels to get the job
done, but then I compared an E-3 ORF opened by Studio and saved as a TIF
with the same ORF opened directly in Sagelight.

The problem this time isn't color.  Studio still beats every other
converter I know of at getting the correct colors, but Sagelight matches
Studio colors quite well.  But at 100%, an ORF opened in Sagelight is
softer and less detailed than a TIF of the same image, saved after
Studio raw conversion, and then opened in Sagelight.

Possibly some camera settings are passed along in the ORF to Sagelight
and are not helping. I tend to set sharpening high in the camera but
turn off sharpening altogether in raw conversion.  If anything, images
might be expected to be over-sharpened in Sagelight, but in reality they
are just a little soft.  The effect I am seeing doesn't appear to be
remedied by further sharpening.  It's like the Sagelight-converted ORF
is just a little off-register or mis-focused.

Sagelight still seems to work great for Canaan raw, and I like its tools
for working on ORFs once they are converted to TIFs, but I guess I'll
have to continue to use Studio to get the best out of my E-system
cameras, at least for raw conversion.

I guess I'm surprised, and not surprised.  A bit disappointed for sure.

Joel W.