Re: [OM] IMG: A Couple of Film Image

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: A Couple of Film Image
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 18:57:38 -0600
> Yes, I agree with Moose.  The new Portra 400 should do much better, but
> something is up if it is that
> grainy after NI.

Unfortunately, everything I've shot with the new Portra 400 is not for
public consumption. Not even sure I'm allowed to say that I even shot
SOMETHING with it. I deny everything...  I'll just say that it is worth it
on so many levels. I like the way it scans on the V-ED as well as from
Millers. Easily the most well-behaved film I've ever used. Combined with an
OM-4Ti and the 100/2 lens or 35-80/2.8 lens the film just comes alive.
Throw some flash at it and the edge definition is out of sight. It's like
using the next to the last 160NC but with more kick.

This is a film I can shoot an entire wedding on in 35mm without hesitation.
Indoors or outdoors. In bright light or under the candles. I can't blow
dress highlights with this film. No matter what I throw at it, it just
works. Rate it at 200, 400 or 800 and it gets the job done. Obviously, 400
is best, but it smokes the previous versions. It's like the old 160NC in
grain and latitude, but has the oomph to get the colors going without
cranking up the saturation. Skin tones are Portra skin tones.

I loved the new formulation of 400NC, but this is exactly like it but with
better colors. Skintones stay about the same, but the colors pop and are
more in line with what we are getting in digital.

If Chapter 11 results in the abandonment of this new Provia 400, you'll see
a run on the inventory like you haven't seen since Tech Pan got slashed.

Hmm... If I delay the purchase of a new camera until next year, how much
film could I shoot and still come out ahead? There is no reason why I can't
just tell the clients "sorry, no digital--film only". It's not that I
really NEED to buy a new camera.

AG