Re: [OM] The Colosseum on Zone-10

Subject: Re: [OM] The Colosseum on Zone-10
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 20:11:41 -0800
On 1/26/2012 5:06 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> Of course, I couldn't resist ...
> LOL, you do realize that some of your adjustments took it back to the
> original scan?

I'm just ordering my 'I Agree With Provia and Nikon." T-shirt.

> Here I thought I was being cute and you go and adjust
> my adjustments. :)

Some thing are just meant to be. Don't mess with 'em. ;-)   But really, that
line of arch tops is just too delicious to
cover up.

Then the top looked sort of like a dark, evil cloud was hovering there, just
overhead. Extending the subtle light on the
edge of the 2nd pillar on the left up changes that, so it's dark, but high,
open up there.

Might the effect on the tops of the arches be partially the result of using a
soft edged brush above that bled over onto
them? I'm still hooked on layer masks for control of effects.

> The last one is really neat. I like the dark and moody look of it. I
> will play with variations of that to see if it's print-worthy.

Thanks! Happy accident. After I applied Shadow-Highlights and a slightly masked
Curves, I wanted to see what the faces
of the arch pillars would look like, perhaps to be dropped in as a partially
opaque mask. I have several Actions that
apply commonly used effects to a new layer. One simply decreased Brightness.
it's often a prelude to some other tool or
to provide darkness that can be painted in on a mask.

In this case, I unexpectedly liked the effect so much that instead I dropped a
mask on it, painted opaqueness over where
it made the tops of the arches, the middle of the far left pillar and the top
of the second pillar too dark. I made it a
separate path and cleared up the cyan floor.

Thanks for the fun and feedback.

Archie Moose