[OM] Standard lens focal lengths, was: Nathan's PAD 26/1/2012: bokeh an

Subject: [OM] Standard lens focal lengths, was: Nathan's PAD 26/1/2012: bokeh and high ISO
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 06:12:10 -0500
I've always considered the omission of prime lenses of about 70mm focal
length a bit of an oddity in 35mm photography.  If we consider 50mm the
de-facto standard and we wanted to build a set of primes that doubled or
halved the image area at each step we'd choose a set with:
17,5mm, 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70mm, 100mm, 140mm, 200mm, 280mm, 400mm.

Typical prime lens availability options from the manufacturers usually
come pretty close to this set except for the 70mm option.  Instead of
70mm we jump to the portrait or macro range of 85-90mm.  How come?  Why
the hole in angular coverage of primes?  There's another oddity in that
the next most common lens down from 35mm is 28mm and not 24/25mm.  But I
think that's a manufacturing price break thing as well as a
consideration for limiting distortion.

Of course, some would say that the standard lens should be 43mm and not
50mm which would place the next focal length up the scale at 60mm but
that's a different story.

Chuck Norcutt

http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=1687410074&k=W8W7cR7&lb=1&s=O