Re: [OM] Standard lens focal lengths, was: Nathan's PAD 26/1/2012: bokeh

Subject: Re: [OM] Standard lens focal lengths, was: Nathan's PAD 26/1/2012: bokeh
From: Johnny Johnson <theronemmie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 18:13:28 -0500
On 1/27/12, usher99@xxxxxxx <usher99@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was always puzzled by the 75mm primes. Almost went after the CV Color
> heliar 75/2.5 in OM mount.
> Per previous thread it is really a double Gauss design. Not being a
> very enthusiastic RF user,
> had not realized it is a common RF focal length for reasons I do not
> know.

Having come late to the rangefinder party I'm also not familiar with
the reasons for the popularity of the 75mm but wonder if it has to do
with the increased difficulty of focusing the 90mm (and especially
135mm) on a rangefinder. It gives a bit more reach than a 50 with
still a good chance of the image being sharp. In any case, my standard
rangefinder kit is 21, 35 and 75mm but with the crop factor the
equivalents are ~28/46/98.

Later,
Johnny