Re: [OM] Need help on photographing and selling original artwork

Subject: Re: [OM] Need help on photographing and selling original artwork
From: "Bill Pearce" <billcpearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 19:14:07 -0600
I believe that purchase of a piece of art only affords you the opportunity
to amaze your friends and loan for exhibition. Anything else would be
considered, just as in photography, subsequent use. A friend was in this
position, and when a limited edition of prints was made of something he
owned, it was the artist that benefited.  Before relatively recent changes
in copyright law, that was all undefined, but it has been made into law. You
are not entitled to photograph and use it as you wish without artist's
permission. Perhaps you could put it on a personal website, but why chance
it? You are certainly not entitled to manipulate an image of it as this was
recently adjudicated. Remember the Obama T shirts?

Bill Pearce, not a lawyer