Re: [OM] Need help on photographing and selling original artwork

Subject: Re: [OM] Need help on photographing and selling original artwork
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 13:08:25 -0500
Moose, be careful. An artist does NOT have to register the copyright to
sue you and win. Its necessary only for punative damages, but he can still
sue you for economic loss even if not registered, and he would win and get
paid. I would not claim that you copied an artist's signature, that will
land you in prison for forgery, a felony. Virtually all artists have
photographs of their work for their portfolios and websites and a good
many sell giclee prints from those photos. You do NOT own the copyright
unless it was explicitly transferred to you in a written contract that
says so. You're thinking 1970s era copyrights, things have changed GREATLY.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook