Re: [OM] Going on Safari

Subject: Re: [OM] Going on Safari
From: "Bill Pearce" <billcpearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 14:19:30 -0600
Went on safari, took 33 lbs. of gear. Don't do that. Longest lens I took was
500, and used 70-300 with the 1.7 extender. Rarely needed to remove the
extender, and had little use for anything wider. I would, were I going
again, take something in the 600 area, a fast 300, money and weight
allowing, something like a 70-200, and something near 28. Also a decent
point n shoot. I cant imagine where you will use the tripod and the beanbag,
but a monopod was handy, as most shooting was from inside the Land Cruiser.

What will be your transportation? This can limit weight allowed. Last two
legs to the camp were on a single piston engine Cessna and an aging
eurocopter, hence weight limits, but bags were weighed by the pilot hefting
them, not with a scale.