Re: [OM] OM-5D macro comparisons

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-5D macro comparisons
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:53:56 -0500
That one is lovely.

It helps to keep in mind that if the quality judgement is based on the
print then there is an extensive system involved well beyond the lens.
A lens can easily resolve hundreds of lines/mm while typical color and
B&W films resolve in the range of 100-135 lines/mm in very high contrast
areas but only half of that or less in low contrast areas.  The
enlarger, paper and development process combine to lower the resolution
even more.  You never get more out than what you started with... only less.

The "system" resolution between lens and film is given by the formula
1/S = 1/L + 1/F where S is the system resolution of lens and film, L is
the resolution of the lens and F is the resolution of the film.

If the lens resolves 200 lines/mm and the film resolves 80 lines/mm the
final resolution is 1/200 + 1/80 = 1/0.0175 = 57 line/mm.  If we double
the resolution of the lens to 400 lines/mm we have 1/400 + 1/80 =
1/0.015 = 67 lines/mm.  So a presumably much more expensive lens with
twice the resolution only delivers an 18% improvement on the film.  But
if we'd have had a film resolving 100 lines/mm we'd have gotten the same
67 lines/mm on the film using the less expensive 200 lines/mm lens.

So, the lesson is to pay more attention to your film, perhaps, than the
lens.  Same rules apply for sensors.

Chuck Norcutt